Croquet loses two of its stalwarts
This week saw the death of two much loved and well respected members of Croquet Victoria: Len Twigg of Williamstown CC and Dot Dickson of Essendon CC.
2018 Golf Croquet State Team
The team to represent Victoria in the Golf Croquet Interstate Shield (ISS) was announced recently.
This tournament, which will be held in the Hunter Valley from September 12 to 16, is a major event which will bring together the best golf croquet players from six States in a competition in which each State plays each other in a mix of singles and mixed doubles.
News Date: 2018-06-18
Posted by: Jim Clement
Posted on: 2018-06-19
News Type: General
Croquet Victoria AGM
At the Annual General Meeting and the following Council meeting, held on 18 June 2018, there were some changes to Council members.
In the Committee of Management elections, Kate Patrick, Sarina Cevaal-Hewitt and Trish Watts were re-elected as Vice-president, Secretary and Member respectively. Jim Lynch (Eastern Park) did not stand for re-election and his place as a Member was taken by Janet Leckie-Brunton (Frankston). Thanks to Jim for his contributions over the past two years, and welcome to Janet, who has been a member of Council for the past four years and will retain the responsibility of the South Eastern Metro Regional Director.
Some Regional Directors have also changed:
- David Johnston has replaced Brian Reither as the Ballarat and District appointee
- Wayne Worladge takes over from Patrick Hartley as the Eastern Metro member
- Hamish Menzies replaces Lorraine Gutcher (who remains on CoM) for Gippsland
- Ian Potter is the new Murray Valley Director, replacing Janet Richardson
- Hetty Veldman will represent Northern District in lieu of Lois Kirk
- Brian Rowe is the Western Metro representative, replacing Kate Patrick, who remains a member of CoM as Vice-president
- Charles Rees takes over from Denise McMillan, as the Wimmera Regional Director.
A warm welcome to all of the above.
A vote of thanks was passed to those Regional Directors who have stood down:
- Brian Reither and Janet Richardson, who have both been members of Council for the past 16 years; and
- Patrick Hartley, Lois Kirk and Denise McMillen for their contribution over the past two years.
The meeting of Council which followed the AGM endorsed all the nominations to appointed officer and sub-committee positions which were before it.
The Dot Dickson Challenge June 2018
It was perfect weather for 67 Golf Croquet players on Thursday 21 June at Cairnlea for the second Dot Dickson Challenge of 2018.
This fun One Day Challenge was started by Dot Dickson some years ago so any players from clubs around Victoria could get together to play croquet while enjoying the facilities at Cairnlea.
For some, it was their first visit to VCC and maybe the first time they have played outside their own clubs. Great to see all 12 courts played on all day, most double banked.
A great tribute to Dot Dickson who passed away just one week before this special day.
Players battle the elements at Morwell
The idea that croquet is a nice genteel game in the sun followed by cucumber sandwiches in the club house was blown out of the water at Morwell's GC Handicap Doubles at the weekend.
The wind blew and the heavens opened as the players arrived two by two. There was no ark in sight, but it was a definite possibility that one would be needed before the end of the tournament.
In true croquet fashion players rugged up, donned their wet gear and took to the courts.